facebook follow Allegian Insurance Group on twitter

Purchasing Automobile insurance can feel overwhelming with all the different companies and auto insurance options available to you, it is hard to know where to start. With our personal auto insurance buyers guide we will teach you the basics of auto insurance helping you to make an informed decision when purchasing your policy.  Log onto www.AIGSC.com or dial (803) 546-4707 for any Insurance Product Quote 24/7.

Reasons You Need Auto Insurance

State Law– The number one reason you need to purchase an auto policy is state laws require it. Most states require that you carry at least a minimum limits liability policy for your state.

New Car– If you purchased a new car and are making payments on it, your lender requires a policy with full coverage on it.

Financial Protection– Auto liability insurance protects your assets from third-party lawsuits in the event of an accident.  

Auto Policy Coverages

There are different coverages or protections of an auto policy. Some are required (liability) while others are optional (physical damage), each coverage is priced out and based on the limit you chose.   

Liability Coverages

  • Bodily Injury Liability- This coverage pertains to third-party injuries caused by you and family members listed on the policy.  This coverage is required by state law.  
  • Property Damage Liability-This coverage pays for damages you cause to someone else’s car or objects and structures your car hits. Also required by state law.  
  • Uninsured motorist coverage reimburses you if an uninsured or a hit-and-run driver hits you. Underinsured motorist coverage pays when an at-fault driver does not have enough insurance to pay for your loss fully. Some states may require it.
  • Medical Payments or Personal Injury Protection (PIP)-This coverage pays for treating injuries to you and your passengers. Personal Injury Protection (PIP), which is available in “no-fault” states, can also cover lost wages.

You may check with your local DMV or Insurance Department to see what coverages are required.

Physical Damage Coverages

  • Collision-This coverage pays for damage to your car from a collision with another vehicle, an object or a pothole or from flipping over.
  • Comprehensive-This coverage compensates you for damage to your car that’s not caused by a collision. It covers theft, hail, windstorm, flood, fire and hitting animals.
  • Comprehensive coverage also pays for damaged windshields. Some companies will not charge you a deductible for windshield repairs.
  • Comprehensive and Collision coverages are required if you have a lienholder(making payments) on your vehicles.

Most insurers offer additional types of coverage, such as towing and a rental car when your car is disabled.  Each type of coverage likely will increase your premium so consider what you need.

Things to keep in mind:

Most auto policies do not cover optional equipment such as stereos, CD players, navigation systems and cell phones not permanently installed in your car, or maintenance for your vehicle.

Auto insurance will not pay off your loan if your car is totaled and its market value is less than what you owe. This is the reason auto dealerships and finance companies may offer guaranteed auto protection (GAP) insurance.

If driving into Canada, you will have insurance coverage.  However, if you are driving to Mexico, you will need to buy Mexican auto insurance.  

Some companies will require a separate policy for: Motorcycle, Watercraft & Boat, Recreational Vehicle, Call Allegiance Insurance 24/7 to check all available options, and how low our rates are for YOU!  (803) 546-4707

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2020
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016

View Mobile Version