facebook follow Allegian Insurance Group on twitter


Golf Carts in South Carolina

Golf carts have become a common means of transportation for many families. As an insurance advisor, the safety issues involved with golf carts concern us, particularly when we see children behind the wheel. With the multi-usage of golf carts these days, your homeowner’s insurance doesn’t provide enough coverage if you are a golf cart owner.  South Carolina law states that those who wish to operate a golf cart must be at least 16 years old and possess a valid South Carolina driver’s license. The driver of the golf cart must have the registration card of the golf cart and his or her driver’s license while operating the golf cart on highways.


If you have a valid S.C. driver’s license, you may drive your golf cart during the day within four miles of your home or business and on secondary highways. For more information on how to obtain a permit from any DMV office, click here. Incidentally, you need to renew this permit every 5 years or every time you change your address.

“Does my homeowner’s policy cover my ATV or golf cart?”

Answer: Only when the ATV or golf cart is being used on your residence premise and solely for the maintenance of your property. We recommend that you purchase a specialized policy that provides coverage when your ATV or golf cart is used for pleasure, whether on or off of your property. Another benefit of covering your ATV or golf cart on a specialized policy is you won’t risk filing a claim on your homeowner’s policy. ATV or golf cart policies can average from $100-$250.

“Will my auto policy cover my ATV, boat, golf cart or motorcycle if something should happen while I am transporting my recreational vehicle on the road?”

Answer: An auto policy will cover the damage caused by any of these while being pulled behind your vehicle. However, it does not cover damage to the ATV, boat, golf cart or motorcycle in this scenario. A specialized policy offers physical damage for the ATV or golf cart, liability coverage up to $500,000 and covers recreational use when you are away from your residence. Medical payments coverage is offered for up to $25,000,giving you coverage for recreational use and while away from your residence.

If you have any questions or need to talk about insuring your golf cart, please call us at 803-546-4707 or email us today.  Allegiance Insurance Group is a local Trusted Choice®independent insurance agency located in Columbia, South Carolina. Serving the entire state of South Carolina since 2000, we offer a variety of personal and business coverage choices and can customize an insurance plan to meet yours specialized needs for home, auto, business, or other insurance products. Home Page or Allegiance Insurance Agency at www.aigsc.com

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2020
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016

View Mobile Version